The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah
Discover the real reason for the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, By William J Jackson, Coordinator Netiv NWA
Why did G-d destroy Sodom and Gomorrah*? Many say it was homosexuality and as we look further in Genesis we find that homosexuality was, indeed, rampant in Sodom and Gomorrah (verse 19:5). However, as we look deeper in the Tanakh, we find, through the prophets, Sodom and Gomorrah was plagued with more than homosexuality. Ezekiel and Jeremiah expounded on the wickedness of the original Sin City. Homosexuality appears to be one of it’s 7 deadly sins.
1. Homosexuality *
3. Not charitable**
6. Live in lies***
7. Encourage those that do Evil ***
*Genesis 19:5 They called Lot and said to him, “Where are the men who came to stay with you tonight? Bring them out to us! We want to have sex with them!”
**Ezekiel 16:49-50 The crimes of your sister S’dom were pride and gluttony; she and her daughters were careless and complacent, so that they did nothing to help the poor and needy. They were arrogant and committed disgusting acts before me; so that when I saw it, I swept them away.
***Jeremiah 23:14 14 But in the prophets of Yerushalayim I have seen a horrible thing — they commit adultery, live in lies, so encouraging evildoers that none returns from his sin. For me they have all become like S’dom, its inhabitants like ‘Amora.”
As we see here the 7 deadly sins are addressed elsewhere in the Tanakh:
1. Homosexuality: Leviticus 18:22, 20:13, 1 Kings 14:24
2. Gluttony: Deuteronomy 21:20, Proverbs 23:20-21, 28:7
3. Not charitable: Deuteronomy 15:7-11, Proverbs 19:17, 28:27
4. Arrogant: 1 Samuel 2:3 Proverbs 8:13, 11:2, 16:18, 19:23, Obadiah 1:3-4, Isaiah 2:11-12
5. Adultery: Exodus 20:14, Deuteronomy 22:22, Proverbs 6:32
6. Live in lies: Genesis 3:4, Leviticus 19:11, Proverbs 12:22, 13:5
7. Encourage those that do Evil Genesis 4:7, Psalm 64:5, Proverbs 25:26, 27:5-6, 29:11
*Note: Genesis 18:20 Adonai said, “The outcry against S’dom and ‘Amora is so great and their sin so serious.
Leviticus 19:17 “You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbor, lest you incur sin because of him.
Leviticus 19:18 “18 “Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against a fellow Israelite, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord.